Sunday, July 8, 2012

Love Letter To a Troll

Starting a blog is a rush. All of the great people, the praise, love, and encouragement. It feels like a big hug that you never want to end. I keep thinking...why didn't I do this sooner?? Third day in and I should still be in the honeymoon phase, right? I woke up to this message:

"Dear Ms Tiara,
I find it ridiculous when pages like yours blow up in one fucking day. These rabid Mommy Bloggers sure stick together. Your writing is amateur, your humor stale. Just another bitchy page. That has SO been done and I am sick of it. Over a hundred likes in one day from your bitchy girls clubs relentless pimping. Most of us have to work for it. These fake online relationships between women like you disgust me. Do you think that if you died tomorrow any of them would do more than use it as fodder for their next attention seeking post? Not one of them would piss on you if you were on fire. Enjoy your new found fame. Trust me, it will fade as fast as it started."

My first reaction? Of course my brain went into "think up clever snarky comeback" overload. A close second was, "FAME? what the fuck?!" Then I decided to sit on it for a while. I walked the dog, took a bath, read the paper. All of a sudden, I knew exactly what I needed to do. Write my very first troll a love letter.

Dear Ms. Troll,

Thank you for your message. I appreciate the feedback. While you are entitled to your rather nasty opinion, I beg to differ. I thought I would take this opportunity to teach you a bit about women and relationships.

People are always so quick to judge the quality of a relationship based upon where it started. One of my best friends met her husband on an online dating site. To this day, I am one of the ONLY people who know. She finds it embarrassing for some reason. I think she feels that it devalues the quality of their relationship. I call bullshit. If two people meet, connect, form a bond...who cares where it started? If you met your spouse/best friend/yoga instructor online, at a bar, at church, on a singles cruise, in jail....it makes NO difference to me. Love is a gift. Friendship is a gift. Who gives a shit where it originated?

This group of women that you so fondly referenced, are each very different and special in their own way. To lump them into a negatively labeled group is unfair. Each relationship has unique facets and quirks, just like the women that are in them. The first friendship I gained from a blog page was a complete surprise to me. I had found a page that I really liked so, I started reading her archives in my spare time. This lady is incredible. I found myself thinking, "she says all of the things that I feel but am afraid to say". I never commented and kept silent, fearing that I would surely sound like an idiot to someone with such writing savvy. One day, a troll upset her. Without thinking twice, I wrote her an email. I started it with, "Dear Complete Stranger". I told her how her writing touched me and how much I looked forward to the hearty laugh she gave me several times a day. I told her how much I would miss her if she stopped writing. I hesitated slightly before sending it, assuming that it would just be one in a windfall of messages from fans. To my absolute and utter surprise, she posted it on her blog and said lovely things to me. A friendship was born.

My stories with each of these women are different. I have spent MANY hours reading their heartfelt words, feeling their pain, giving encouragement and love whenever I could. Most of all, I have laughed with all of them. A LOT. I consider each of them friends and if they needed help, I would be there in a hot minute. I can say without a doubt, they would do the same for me. That is what defines a friendship, to me. I could care less where we met. I am just truly grateful to have them in my life.

I hope that the next time it occurs to you that you might have fun bashing a new page on a Saturday night, you will reconsider. Your time may be better spent working on not being a total dick. Relationships come in all different shapes and sizes. Even if those relationships do not quite fit into the mold you imagined. Either you choose to love or to hate.

I choose love.

Kisses,
Ms. T


62 comments:

  1. This made my day lol :) Thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. That letter made me laugh. "Rabid Mommy Bloggers". HAHAHAHA!!
    2. You response is fantastic. Well done, well done.
    3. You keep writing. This is YOUR blog and you can do whatever you damn well please.
    4. I choose love too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..just wow. Sweetheart, no one will ever know the bond that we so-called rabid mommy bloggers have with each other. We have somehow crammed 4 years of late night college dormroom talks into about six months. And I love every bit of it. Sounds to me like this troll is incapable of building a comparible connection with anyone and is taking it out on you. Keep on keepin on, Lady! You have been there supporting and encouraging us over the last few months...and I'm so thankful we now get to do the same for you!! Big love <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bliss, you are one special lady. Thank you. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Holy fuck! I can say that here, right? I am totally impressed with your response to that asswad. I have never received anything like it and I don't know what I would do if I did. Kudos to you sister for keeping on despite someone's best attempts to make you feel icky. Can't wait to get to know you sister :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuck is not only allowed but encouraged. ;)
      Thank you so much! I find you absolutely hysterical. xoxo

      Delete
  5. I dare ask this jealous, sad and friendless person to show their face. I DARE YOU....That being said, I wish someone of your lower intelligence would NOT use Eminem's lyrics in your hate mail as he is far too classy to be quoted by the likes of a faceless coward.

    Tiara...Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Faceless Coward"....perfection. Thanks Trip. You get a slap on the ass for that one. :) xoxo

      Delete
  6. I think you are a wonderful human being. Ms. Blissfully Discontented brought me here, I think I shall stay. I am a mom, I don't have a blog but appreciate all of the love and comradery that I receive from all of my cyberfriends who are moms too. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you so much. I am so glad you are here. xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. I just cyber humped your leg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great response to a hateful person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blissfully Discontented mentioned you/your love letter on her page. Glad to have found a new page to follow. I came over because she mentioned you. I am staying because I like what I see. You write beautifully. Don't let anyone ever tell you differently. (((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Writing is something I have always wanted to do. I can't tell you how wonderful it is that people are actually enjoying what I have to say. I am so glad you are here. xoxo

      Delete
  10. I love your response to an obviously jealous woman....it truly is sad that her self-esteem is so low that she felt he need to viciously lash out at you....please don't let one "Debbie Downer" like her stop you from writing exactly what you want to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am really glad you are here. :) xoxo

      Delete
  11. LOVE THIS! From a fellow "rabid mommy blogger," BRAVO!! I think I may add Rabid Mommy Blogger to my electronic signature....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should get cute tank tops made with RMB in glitter. That will keep people guessing. ;)
      I am a big fan of yours. Your compliment means a lot. A LOT! Thank you so much. xoxoxo

      Delete
  12. Your time may be better spent on not being a dick." <---Fucking love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your response was truly poetic. So proud of you and the whole lot of us. I have made it through some of the toughest times of my life through these pages right here with THESE women. If I could lick/leg hump/tackle/hug/assgrab/kiss them all, it might show a small fraction of the love I feel for them. But I sincerely doubt it. You really have done us all well with this letter.

    Thank you so very much.

    ~M

    p.s. someone might be a tad jealous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Just trying to kill the meanies with kindness....one at a time. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  14. what a beautifully written letter to a jerk who didnt deserve it! Keep blogging! and keep having such a great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nitty. I have LOADS of respect and love for you, honey. Your kind words mean a lot to me. Xoxo

      Delete
  15. what the heck is wrong with people? Jealous over someone's blog "likes"???? Get a life, a friend, some medication.

    I found your blog after reading about this green-eyed troll loser on another mommy blog and I'm glad I did. Adding you to my reading list.

    All the best,
    Lori

    another one of those sticky mommy bloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lori. Send me a link to your blog. I'd love to read it. We "rabid mommy bloggers" must stick together. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  16. You have amazing grace and poise. What a wonderfully worded, respectable down to earth response. You can't fix stupid. Just keep holding your head high! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I know who wrote that, and it's a guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you SERIOUS? It was posted under a girls name and the profile disappeared. Give the douchebag a kick in the nuts from me and send him over to read his love letter. :) xoxo

      Delete
  18. Came across this post via You Know It Happens At Your House Too.... LOVE your response to the troll and cannot wait to read previous posts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found you thru Mod Mom and I just wanted to stop in and say Bravo!!!
    I'm so sorry this happened to you and I hope that your faith in the 'hood
    has been restored by the lovelies who commented here.
    Beat the shit out of that clown, girl.
    You just keep going.
    Hugs, T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tina, thank you so much for your very kind words. My girls would NEVER let me lose faith! :)
      Clowns in bad shape...threadbare, head hanging by a thread, one eye. That bastard won't live much longer. :) Big hugs to you too. Xoxoxo

      Delete
  20. I loved this!!! Found you through YKIHTYHT, and so glad I did!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I'm so glad you are here! :) xoxo

      Delete
  21. I too came across this via You Know It Happens At Your House Too. I might not be a blogger...yet...but I proudly wear the rabid mommy part. Granted I never gave ”mommy blogs”,much thought until 6 months ago wheny one and only made,his way almost 7 weeks early into this world. Each and every om of the rabid mommies I now love dearly have kept this single mom from spending time in a straight jacket. Wether you,know it or not I love you all dearly. And you have made your way onto my mommies that keep me sane list. The way you handled this twatsnot only makes,me,wish I had as much class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly humbled by your kind words. Thank you, Amber. I think you're pretty classy. :) xoxo

      Delete
  22. I read about your post on You Know It Happens At Your House Too! I'm sorry you had such a troll, but you handled it beautifully!
    Sarah @ www.DailyMesses.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. YILES!!! Kudos to you for handling it so well!!!
    It must be the week for trolls. I had my first 2 last week. Good grief!!

    StacySewsandSchools.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found you via Mad Mom and just want to say wow....what alot of nerve and what a gracious response. The ultimate karma payback to your troll will be all the new followers brought to you blog by his/her incivility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, thank you so much. The response from this post has been overwhelming. I'm bursting at the seams with love! Karma.....hmmmm....I don't know. A douche of this magnitude probably doesn't even worry about karma. I'm sure his/her life pretty much sucks. With an attitude like that, how could anyone be happy? Am I right??
      Oh and yes, this is BY FAR my most popular post. I may need to advertise for a new troll, for the sequel. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  25. Hi and welcome to the blogosphere Black Tiara! I found you via YKIHAYHT. I was in the middle of reading her People Who Piss Me Off, when #1 pissed me off too. I came over here, read your troll letter, then read your stellar rebuttal, then read all of your previous posts and went back to my blog and had this to say about it all: http://modmombeyondindiedom.blogspot.com/2012/07/cmon-bloggers-nowshine-on-other.html. First of all, I think you're a terrific writer, you seem like a really sweet person and that troll has some blog karma comin'. You keep on keepin' on and I'll be reading. Hi-fivers to ya! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg. Wow. Just wow.
      I can't tell you how incredible it feels to receive such a fantastic compliment, from a blogger whom I respect immensely. We have GOT to have martinis!
      Much love to you. Xoxo

      Delete
  26. Great awesomeness!!! Love how you responded with class and dignity. Any response from her, or complete quietness? It Happens At My House showed me the way here, and I think I will stay! Between you and Tara, I believe I will be laughing and happy each day. Continue the great writing, don't let those haters get you down, babe! We are greater than that! Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Oh, if there had been a response, I would post it!! :) xoxo

      Delete
  27. Hello, I came here through Mommy Y 's blog and I am so glad i did. I am shocked at the letter from the troll and I am amazed at the wonderful way you handled it. In fact this is a lesson for me on how to deal with such comments. Definitely going to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you so much. Kill them with kindness is my mantra. Well, most of the time. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  28. Love it! I just started my blog two days ago and was looking for some blogs to follow, definately following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please send me a link to your blog. Isn't it fun? Best of luck to you and big hugs! Xoxo

      Delete
  29. My first emotion was shock. Then I laughed. What a dick-lick. (remember that put down from Jr High? Yeah, I'm bringing it back). I'm not even a mommy or a steady blogger, but I know funny and real when I see it and you've got that, Lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick-lick. Bahahahahahahaha. I might have peed a little.
      "Funny and Real" - Sums up everything I strive to be.
      Please please send me a link to your blog. I'd love to read it. Thank you so much for the awesome compliment. It means more than you know. Xoxo

      Delete
  30. I also found you through YKIHAYHT - which I like to pronounce "Icky-height" by the way.

    Have read like 6 of your posts and have been holding my pee for the last two.

    #You have a new follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thank you SO much! I'm so sorry it took me so long to see this.
      "Icky-height".... LOVE it. Xoxoxo

      Delete